"I found a great mentor but I don't know what to say?"
Found your perfect mentor or mentee but still deciding how to request the match?
Don’t worry! Wanting to put your best foot forward and stand out from the crowd is a really common feeling for anyone starting a new mentoring relationship.
There are 4 key points to remember when reaching out:
- Introduce yourself with a brief summary.
- Let them know why you’ve chosen them for a match. Aim to make your reasons relatable to your mentor's experiences.
- Outline what you’re hoping to achieve in the mentoring relationship.
- Keep it short and snappy. Remember - using the My Match feature with Mentorloop means your requested connection can view your profile if they’re looking for more detail!
Let’s look at a quick example. Mark (a mentee) is wanting to connect with George (a mentor):
1. Introduce yourself.
Hi George! I’ve recently moved to Brisbane with my family and I’ve been working in the R&D team for the last 3 years.
2. Let them know why you chose them.
I loved reading your recent white paper on AI and Computer Vision inventory management - I found your vision for the future of inventory management really inspiring.
3. Outline what you’re hoping to achieve.
I am hoping to move into the field of Artificial Intelligence and believe I can learn more about the skills I need through talking to you about your experiences.
4. Keep it short.
I would love to connect with you as my mentor. Thanks for any help you can give, Mark.